In 2017 the Commissioner commenced a project aimed at improving the understanding of children and young people with harmful sexual behaviours and enhancing responses to children and young people who may be harming themselves or others.
The project initially encompassed three main activities:
- A mapping of currently available services for children and young people who have been harmed and/or who display harmful sexual behaviours in WA.
- An issues paper by the Australian Centre for Child Protection on A Continuum of Responses for Harmful Sexual Behaviours.
- Review of the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse research reports, case studies, and final report and recommendations relevant to harmful sexual behaviours.
Drawing on the findings of these three activities as well as other research in the area, in 2018 the Commissioner published a discussion paper and service mapping report. These documents can be downloaded below.
Discussion paper - Harmful sexual behaviours in children and young people
Western Australian service mapping report - Harmful sexual behaviours project
A Continuum of Responses for Harmful Sexual Behaviours - a report prepared for the Commissioner by the Australian Centre for Child Protection
Upcoming free seminar
To progress discussion on improving policy, prevention and responses to harmful sexual behaviours in Western Australia the Commissioner is hosting a free seminar in June.
Children and young people with harmful sexual behaviours seminar
Tuesday 12 June 2018
This FREE seminar is an opportunity for leaders, policy makers and practitioners to hear from leading Australian experts in addressing harmful sexual behaviour in children and young people.
Presented by the Commissioner for Children and Young People WA, the seminar will feature:
- Lisa Rodda, Senior Program Advisor at the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services, Victoria
- Dale Tolliday, NSW Health Clinical Advisor Sexual and Violent Behaviour, and Clinical Advisor New Street Services
- Dr Lesley-Anne Ey - Lecturer in child development, educational psychology and child protection in the Bachelor and Master of Teaching program at the University of South Australia.
The seminar will be valuable for those working to further progress discussion, development and improvement of policy, prevention and responses in Western Australia.
To register go to our Seminars page.
For more information about harmful sexual behaviours, please contact the Commissioner's office on (08) 6213 2297 or email us.