Government and non-government organisations have an important role to play in ensuring children and young people’s views are heard and reflected in their policies, programs and services.
The Commissioner for Children and Young People Act 2006 sets out the functions of the Commissioner, which includes:
- 19(b) to promote the participation of children and young people in the making of decisions that affect their lives and to encourage government and non-government agencies to seek the participation of children and young people appropriate to their age and maturity
- 20(d) develop guidelines for government agencies and non-government agencies regarding the participation by children and young people in decisions which affect them
The Commissioner has provided case studies of the great work occurring around WA to involve children and young in ways which benefit both the organisation and children and young people.
- Kimberley Community Alcohol and Drug Service, Theatre of Transformation Project - December 2015 (PDF 358KB)
- City of Mandurah, Youth Strategy 2014-2018 - December 2015 (PDF 469KB)
- 720 ABC Perth Bright Young Reviewers - 2011 AWESOME Festival (PDF 358KB)
- Ethnic Youth Advisory Group - Office of Multicultural Interests (PDF 255KB)
- Fremantle headspace Virtual Tour - Fremantle headspace (PDF 175KB)
- Headspace Centenary Art Project - Christ Church Grammar School (PDF 291KB)
- Urban Art Project - George Jones Child Advocacy Centre (PDF 270 KB)
- Youth Advisory Committee - Serpentine Jarrahdale Shire (PDF 490KB)
- Youth Engagement DVD - YouthReach South (PDF 277KB)
- Investing in Our Youth - Be Alcohol Aware (PDF 509KB)
- CAN WA - Wheat Beats (PDF 1.25MB)
- CAN WA - Narrogin Seating Project (PDF 389KB)
- Child Adolescent Health Service, Princess Margaret Hospital and Bentley Adolescent Unit - Artist in Residence Project (PDF 1.84MB)
- National Youth Week 2011 (PDF 308 KB)
If you are involving children and young people in the work of your organisation and would like the Commissioner for Children and Young People to hear about it, please contact us.