In 2017 the Commissioner commenced a project aimed at improving the understanding of children and young people with harmful sexual behaviours and enhancing responses to children and young people who may be harming themselves or others.
The project initially encompassed three main activities:
- A mapping of currently available services for children and young people who have been harmed and/or who display harmful sexual behaviours in WA.
- An issues paper by the Australian Centre for Child Protection on A Continuum of Responses for Harmful Sexual Behaviours.
- Review of the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse research reports, case studies, and final report and recommendations relevant to harmful sexual behaviours.
Drawing on the findings of these three activities as well as other research in the area, in 2018 the Commissioner published a discussion paper and service mapping report.
Discussion paper - Children and young people with harmful sexual behaviours
Western Australian service mapping report - Harmful sexual behaviours project
A Continuum of Responses for Harmful Sexual Behaviours - a report prepared for the Commissioner by the Australian Centre for Child Protection
More information is available on the harmful sexual behaviours resources page.
Children and young people with harmful sexual behaviours seminar
Tuesday 12 June 2018
To progress the discussion on improving policy, prevention and responses to harmful sexual behaviours the Commissioner hosted a free seminar in June. The seminar provided an opportunity for leaders, policy makers and practitioners to hear from leading Australian experts in addressing harmful sexual behaviour in children and young people.
The seminar featured:
- Lisa Rodda, Senior Program Advisor at the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services, Victoria
- Dale Tolliday, NSW Health Clinical Advisor Sexual and Violent Behaviour, and Clinical Advisor New Street Services
- Dr Lesley-Anne Ey - Lecturer in child development, educational psychology and child protection in the Bachelor and Master of Teaching program at the University of South Australia.
Seminar presentation - Children and young people with harmful sexual behaviours
Children showing harmful sexual behaviours must be a priority: Commissioner - WA Today, Thursday 21 June 2018