The Children and young people and the arts seminar was held on 26 February 2013.
The event aimed to:
- explore and discuss innovative projects that have engaged children and young people, providing benefits for the individuals involved and the broader community
- consider how partnerships between agencies and arts companies can be used to hold effective consultations with children and young people.
The seminar included a presentation from the artistic director of the Arena Theatre Company, Christian Leavesley.
Arena’s production, The House of Dreaming, is a leading feature of the children’s program of the 2013 Perth International Arts Festival, and was sponsored by the Commissioner for Children and Young People.
Other participants at the forum included:
- Perth festival director and Ambassador Children and Young People, Jonathan Holloway
- artistic director of Backing Gecko Theatre Company, John Sheedy
- artistic director of Awesome Arts, Jenny Simpson
- leading New Zealand artist Michel Tuffery. Michel has undertaken several innovative projects where he has worked with young people to produce unique and engaging sculptures and artworks in public areas.
- Speech by the Commissioner for Children and Young People Michelle Scott
- Speech by the artistic director of the Arena Theatre Company Christian Leavesley
- Speech by the artistic director of the Barking Gecko Theatre Company John Sheedy
Other useful links
The seminar was held in partnership with:
- Western Australian Museum
- Perth International Arts Festival