Advisory committees made up of existing groups of children and young people aged under 18 years are appointed each year. Fifteen groups have been appointed as advisory committees since 2010.
The committees contribute directly to the work of the Commissioner throughout the year and until 2016 completed an ‘Us and Our Community’ project in which they report on what they like about their community and their ideas for improving it.
2017 Advisory Committees
The Commissioner has appointed two Advisory Committees for 2017 who will be involved in a project ‘supporting the mental health and wellbeing of children and young people through social media and technology’.
The Commissioner is working with Professor Jane Burns on this project – she was appointed by the Commissioner as his 2016-17 Thinker in Residence.
Professor Burns and the Commissioner believe that social media and technology can be used to improve mental health services for young people, but young people must have a say in how the services are designed.
The 2017 committees are:
- North metropolitan advisory committee - a group of 16 young people from Girrawheen Senior High School, Sacred Heart College and Balga Senior High School and the local area.
- Geraldton advisory committee - a group of 16 young people from Geraldton Senior College, John Willcock College, Nagle Catholic College and Strathalbyn Christian College.
2016 Advisory Committees
2015 Advisory Committees
2014 Advisory Committees
2013 Advisory Committees
- Y2Y (Youth to Youth), run by Wanslea
- City of Rockingham Youth Advisory Council and Junior Council
- Sacred Heart Primary School Thornlie Year 6 group
- Katanning Senior High School Leadership Team
2011-2012 Advisory Committees
2010 Advisory Committees